Herbert M. Davidson, (1895-1985), owner of the Daytona Beach News-Journal, founded the Unitarian Society of Daytona Beach in 1953. He also provided meeting space for the Society in his newspaper and radio facilities. He served in several of the officer positions of the Society and Board of Directors. He was well known and respected throughout the newspaper industry.

The Society was founded in 1953 with thirty-five members. The meetings were held in the News-Journal (our local newspaper) building on Orange Avenue in Daytona Beach, with the Religious Education classes being held in the YMCA. By 1957, services were held in the Little Theater, now known as the Daytona Playhouse, and the Religious Education classes met in the firehouse at University and Halifax Drive.

In 1957, the property at 56 North Halifax Drive in Ormond Beach was acquired. By 1960, the Society was meeting in its own building! The current building was completed in 2003 and renovated in 2020.

Our journey has made possible through the dedication of many members who came before us. We remember them.